On 15 February, the London and South East Branch held a study day on the theme of ‘Sharing Excellence’. The event took place in the RICS building opposite the Houses of Parliament and the fantastic food was provided by the Roux@Parliament Square team.
The event was sponsored by apetito, Burlodge, E-Foods, Andjaro, Alliance, Premier Foods, Juiceworks and Raynors, and we are very grateful to have their continued support, which allowed this event to take place. Special recognition must also be given to Andrew Archer and his team at Dewberry Redpoint for their unwavering support.
The day had a very relaxed approach, with extensive networking sessions, and it was great to see how easily the conversation flowed. Stewart McKenzie, National Chair, kick-started the day with his opening remarks.
The essence of the study day is about sharing best practices and this could not have been achieved without our fantastic speakers:
- Katharine Fox (WRAP/Trifocal), who talked about staggering public-sector food-waste figures and free-of-charge solutions that are available from their organisation
- Rob Henry (E-Foods), who discussed food safety, a certified supply chain and online purchasing links
- Harriet Skan (Andjaro), who talked about mobilising internal workforces using technology, with solutions that are now available to NHS and facilities management companies operating within our sector
- Derek Johnson, who discussed the importance of Nutrition & Hydration Week and how we must ensure that we adhere to this idea on a daily basis for the people in our care
- Laura Hardman (apetito), who presented on Hospital Food Standards and Sustainability, and
- Julian Edwards and Rea Kapetanou, who made a joint presentation on Acrylamide in foods and how to minimise our exposure to this dangerous – yet little known about – chemical.
The day was closed by our Branch Chair, Paul Coulson, who thanked everyone for their input. Paul also announced that our next Branch meeting on 10 July will take place at the now famous Jimmy’s Farm – another treat for our Members.
And thus, another great event came to a close. We have been overwhelmed with positive feedback, which only strengthens the belief that such days are at the core of what we do. Further evidence of this was several new membership applications we received on the day.